Re: Changes to the way we manage RFPs

Jay,

> On Feb 25, 2020, at 10:09 PM, Jay Daley <jay@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Bob
>

>> On 26/02/2020, at 6:01 PM, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Jay,
>>
>>> On Feb 25, 2020, at 7:15 PM, IETF Executive Director <exec-director@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> The IETF Administration LLC is changing the way we manage RFPs.  These changes are part of a larger overhaul that will see further changes come in future.  The changes being made today are:
>>>
>>> 1. As of next week, we will be using a new RFP Announcement Mailing List [1] rfp-announce@xxxxxxxx for all announcements relating to RFPs and stop using IETF-Announce.  This change is intended to help us reach a wider network of potential vendors, both directly through a lower volume, more focused list and indirectly through automated redistribution of issued RFPs.
>>
>> This sounds fine to me, I agree it isn’t reasonable to ask potential bidders to watch the ietf-announce list for RFPs.   That said, I think there is value to also cc: the ietf-announce list, doing that would improve transparency.    For example, I have no plans to subscribe to an rfp-announce list, but I do read the ietf-announce list.
>
> As I said to Brian, it would be useful for me to understand why subscribing to rfp-announce - did I just need to make it clearer that this is a zero sum change as far as email volume goes?

I was assuming that the people who would subscribe to the rfp-announce list were people who might want to bid on IETF work.   I also assume the reason to create a separate list was for the people who were interested in bidding, but who didn’t care about other  things like what RFCs were published.

I am not planning to bid on any IETF RFPs.   I would still like to follow what is being put out to bid and what contracts were awarded.   I think copying the larger group would make the bidding process visible to a larger group of IETFers.

> My concern btw is the lack of a clear principle that decides what gets copied to ietf-announce and why (assuming you don’t mean everything that goes to rfp-announce).

My answer to that is things that are of general interest to the IETF should be sent to the IETF-announce list.   This includes RFP and contract awards.

Is there a reason to not copy these emails to ietf-announce?   I note it might result in more bids as they would reach a larger audience.

Hope this helps.

Bob