[Last-Call] Antw: [EXT] Re: [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-22.txt> (Network Time Security for the Network Time Protocol) to Proposed Standard

>>> Steven Sommars <stevesommarsntp@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 24.02.2020 um 15:51 in
Nachricht
<13690_1582555938_5E53E31F_13690_19_1_CAD4huA6nNtJB5=E+dxBvmsLrozkgZ3f-3P=NydCsm
=F2Tj_Fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> There is substantial size-based blocking of UDP port 123 IPv4 packets by
> ISPs/IXPs.  From one NTP monitoring point I saw about one third of the NTP
> destinations unreachable (dropped en route) for  212-460 byte port 123
> UDP.  Another monitoring point experienced blocking for all NTP
> destinations when the size was greater than 428 bytes.  Size-based NTP
> blocking is not a secret; it was discussed on the NANOG mailing list in
> 2014 (see for example
> https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2014-February/064634.html ).
> NTP requests can be dropped, so  section 9.3 of draft 22 does not address
> the problem.   While NTS will not be a DDoS amplification source, it will
> be affected by existing DDoS countermeasures.
>
> How will NTS work in today's UDP-unfriendly Internet?

Maybe a candidate for the best practices: "How to block unwanted NTP packets correctly?", "Should NTP packets be blocked?". Here I can't use any external NTP server, BTW. I feel safe ;-)