Re: [Last-Call] [dns-privacy] Datatracker State Update Notice: <draft-ietf-dprive-rfc7626-bis-04.txt>

> Il 20/01/2020 22:45 Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyncke@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> But, as section 3.5.1 ("in the recursive resolvers") raised a lot of discussions during the first IETF Last Call, and as the authors reacted to those comments by deep changes in the text, let's have a new IETF Last Call before proceeding with IESG evaluation.

First of all, I'd like to thank Sara for all the effort in rewriting a lot of text yet another time to address all the comments. I think the result is good, even if I would have preferred other text on certain things.

There is only a minor comment that I still have on 3.5.1. The new version has a part about DNS centralization risks, but it only addresses the risks deriving from the ISP market, not the newer ones coming from "application-specific resolver selection", which were mentioned in -03. I have two alternative text proposals to cover this:

1) in the bullet list in 3.5.1.1, add another bullet:

"* popular applications directing DNS traffic by default to specific dominant resolvers"

or

2) in 3.5.1.1.2., last paragraph, just after "increase or decrease user privacy" and before the hyphen, add:

"and promote or counter centralization"

Given Eric's (not Éric's :-) ) comment on the requirements for user control in 3.5.1.1.2, i.e. that they also apply to the selection of non-encrypted resolvers today, it would be fine for me if they were extended to device/OS resolver configuration in general. In that case, I would plead for the addition of a point regarding the fact that the user should be enabled to configure the resolver for the OS and all the applications at once, in a single place.

I also have an editorial suggestion: to reduce the nesting of sub-sections in 3.5, perhaps you could break down section 3 into multiple first-level sections and do some renumbering, e.g.

3. -> 3.
3.1, 3.2, 3.3 -> 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 within "4. Risks in the DNS data"
3.4 -> "5. Risks on the wire"
3.5 -> "6. Risks in the servers"
3.6, 3.7 -> 7.1, 7.2 within "7. Other risks"

In any case, I think that we now have a solid document and hope we can release it soon.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx