I think some sort of COI policy is helpful, although as others have suggested, I think we have to put a certain level of trust in the individuals to do the right thing.

Regards,
Mary.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 2:20 PM Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal) <Glenn.Deen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/9/20, 12:08 PM, "Architecture-discuss on behalf of Livingood, Jason" <architecture-discuss-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of Jason_Livingood@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ben Campbell <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    > I agree with that for the IESG, but the IAB is not usually in a position to approve or block specific technical decisions. Yes, it sets architectural direction, but see Richard’s comment down-thread..

    [JL] Perhaps we are thinking too narrowly about what the IAB does? Here are some areas for potential conflict that are unrelated to architectural direction:
    1 - Confirming the IETF Chair and Area Directors
    2 - Standards appeals
    3 - RFC Series
    4 - Liaison roles
    5 - Advice to ISOC

[GD] + 6 - Appoint an ISOC Trustee

    [JL] Even in architectural oversight, what if there was a strong push for a particular approach against a particular protocol or codec and someone on the IAB had an undisclosed financial stake in a patent pool that would directly benefit from a certain decision? Or if they "worked" for a university but were 100% funded by a grant from a government that was underwriting their time specifically to work against a specific upgrade to encryption? Or whatever other cases you might imagine.

    [JL] So IMO it seems like some CoI policy for the IAB is better than no CoI policy.