Re: [art] URNs and Last Call: <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

--On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 17:31 -0700 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If
>> you want to ask the slightly different question of whether, if
>> RFC 7320 made things worse, does this I-D make things even
>> worse than that, I don't have an easy answer except to note
>> at least one example: The last paragraph of Section 2.3,
>> which appears to be new, says
>>
>>> Extensions MUST NOT define a structure within individual URI
>>> components (e.g., a prefix or suffix), again to avoid
>>> collisions and erroneous client assumptions.
>>
>> But, as I understand that rule, it is precisely what some
>> rules, and provisions for namespace-specific rules, in RFC
>> 8141, do.
>
> It's not clear to me whether a URN namespace counts as a
> 7320bis protocol extension (which can "offer new capabilities
> that could apply to any identifier, or to a large subset of
> possible identifiers"); however a definition of, say, URN
> r-components would probably fit the bill, and such a
> definition might well define structures that would violate the
> aforementioned MUST NOT.

I was trying to avoid getting dragged down into details, both in
the hope of keeping the message as short as possible and to
avoid a distracting side-discussion, but, yes r-components and
the issues associated with pass-through information for those
URN namespaces that resolve to one or more URLs were examples
that crossed my mind.

>> Again, the solution at this point appears to be either to be
>> much more careful about binding the statements in the I-D to
>> the concept of ownership or to indication that this
>> specification does not apply to URNs (or, if preferred, to
>> what 3986 describes as "name" URIs) at all.
>
> That might be the best approach.

If we don't want both the discussion and the document to drag
out, I believe so.

best,
   john