Re: [art] URNs and Last Call: <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

Phillip Hallam-Baker <ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I remain of the view that the URN/URL distinction is unhelpful because it is
    > meaningless. There are no sharp boundaries between categories of identifier
    > as the distinction supposes.

    > Before making this argument in more detail, I will make a plea for respect. I
    > find that the biggest obstacle to getting clarity on naming is that when
    > faced with an analysis that contradicts deeply held beliefs, the usual
    > response is to tell people to 'do some research' or 'understand the issues'.

    > The URN/URI distinction does not in fact represent an essential distinction
    > between types identifiers as claimed. It describes a difference in source of
    > authority at best, not an essential property.

I agree with you.

I think that we might have found new ways in which they are meaningfully
distinct had to a uquitious way to resolve the more abstract URNs.
That didn't happen, and I don't imagine that it is coming in the way envisioned.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-