Re: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-foudil-securitytxt-08

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:55 PM Rob Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 7:51 AM Tero Kivinen via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Reviewer: Tero Kivinen
>> Review result: Has Issues
>>
>> This document describes text file located in the web server which can be used
>> to find the information where to contact in case there is security
>> vulnerabilities that needs to be disclosed.
>>
>> I think this whole idea is BAD, and I do not think we should be publishing this
>> document at all in this format.
>

> Yeah... I looked at:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-foudil-securitytxt-08#section-6.7
>
> "Organizations SHOULD weigh the advantages of publishing this file versus the possible disadvantages and increased resources required to triage security reports."
>
> While the draft does spend some time describing the "Scope of the File", it doesn't address attacks against other parties using phone numbers or emails contained within the file.
>
> For example, it seems possible to register free domain names under TLDs like .xyz and .tk and then point phone numbers at unsuspecting parties.

I am adding language to address that:
"Attackers can also use this file as a way to spam unrelated third
parties by listing their resources and/or contact information."

And:
"Security researchers SHOULD consult the organization's policy, if
available, and review the contact information and/or resources
referenced within the "security.txt" file before submitting reports in
an automated fashion or as resulting from automated scans."