Re: [Last-Call] [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-09

In my experience, many countries other than the US also reference and use/follow many NIST specifications and many NIST recommendations/guidance.

Also, there is some non-governmental commercial pressure to follow NIST specifications, recommendations, & guidance.  For example, insurers of financial sector firms often write a requirement for the insured firm to at least be compliant with listed NIST specifications, recommendations, & guidance as part of the insurance (or re-insurance) policy for a bank, stock brokerage, or such like.

I am not certain, but I think the legal requirement in the US is limited to US Federal Government offices/agencies/departments other than the US Department of Defense.  For example, I do not think there are legal requirements for commercial firms or individual states to follow NIST specifications, recommendations, & guidance.  My understanding, possibly confused, is that US DoD writes its own guidance, at least on cryptographic matters.

Yours,

Ran