Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review. Comments below.

> On 4 Dec 2019, at 3:30 am, Mike Bishop <mbishop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Overall, this looks good.  Two minor points in 2.3:  The example of defining paths under `.well-known` counts as a path delegation permitted by the scheme because it updates the scheme definition to add it.  That’s not totally clear on first reading, and I’m concerned that it might encourage a bad practice of lots of documents wanting to update scheme definitions to reserve their preferred prefixes.
>
> Perhaps a better way to frame this is that it’s okay to grab a fixed path if the set of paths is managed by a registry, and well-known URIs are an example of that.  The scheme definition update in RFC8615 is to establish such a registry, and that is the pattern to emulate.

This text has been updated in the editors' copy based upon Fluffy's feedback; it might also address this. I don't want specifically recommend a registry, as it might be different from scheme to scheme. Please take a look:
  https://mnot.github.io/I-D/rfc7320bis/#uri-paths

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/