Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02

Hi Qin,

Thanks for the review. Responses below.

> On 29 Nov 2019, at 1:38 am, Qin Wu via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Qin Wu
> Review result: Ready
>
> This document provides a good guidance on the specification of URI
> substructure in standards. One key value of this document is to remove
> constraints upon the structure of URIs and provide best current practice on how
> to specify structure and semantics within URIs. I believe it is ready for
> publication.
>
> Major issue:
> Not found
>
> Minor issue:
> I am curious why this bis document is not published through WG process but
> through individual stream process.

The sponsoring AD knows for sure, of course, but my understanding was that it was some combination of the original document being AD-sponsored, the changes being well-understood and non-controversial, and the relatively small amount of work.

> If this document is published through
> individual steam process with AD sponsored, should this document be classified
> as informational?

That doesn't follow; AD sponsored documents can and often are published as standards-track.

> Where was this document initially discussed to build IETF
> consensus? In which WG?

In the ART area (e.g., art-discuss).

> Is removing constraints on the structure of URIs
> causing a lot of debate, e.g., the following constraints relaxation: “ Note
> that this does not apply to Applications defining a structure of URIs paths
> "under" a resource under control of the server.  Because the prefix is under
> control of the party deploying the application, collisions and rigidity are
> avoided, and the risk of erroneous client assumptions is reduced.”

It doesn't seem to be.

> Try to look into the history of the relevant discussion.

I'm pretty familiar with it.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/