Re: [art] New RFCs text formatting

On 29.11.2019 18:29, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Nov 29, 2019, at 18:07, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:

In any case, this really sounds like the comeback of a discussion we had
~7 years ago (with probably thousands of emails), leading to the
publication of RFC 6949.

Yes!

We are now starting to gain actual experience with the brave new world instead of just random guessing how that will feel (with a heavy dose of process confabulation at the time).  In software, obtaining end-user experience generally leads to iterations.

Yes, the transition takes too much time. It should have been done
several years ago, but it's still not finished (despite claims that it
is). I really wish that energy would go into finishing the actual format
conversion, and not bike-shedding the text format :-).

Keep in mind that it's a compromise. At the one extreme there were
people asking for no change at all (thus, no non-ASCII). At the other
end of the spectrum, people proposed no page-breaking and no
line-breaking (seriously).

What's currently generated is really very close to what we had before.

Best regards, Julian