Re: On IETF support (was Re: Important Announcement from the Internet Society and Public Interest Registry)

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:31 PM Richard Barnes <rlb@xxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, .org name holders are part of the Internet community, but they're not the *only* part of the community.  There are a bit over 10 million .org domains -- vs. billions of Internet users.  The mission of the Internet Society is on that latter scale, and has a much broader and deeper impact on peoples' lives than simply leasing domain names.

It's important to view this change in that context.  In exchange for, I admit, some risk that .org prices might rise (though it's far from clear that this transaction changes that risk), we get a firmer foundation for the bigger, global mission of ISOC.

Hi,

As I understand it, the issue not only that it was sold, but also who the buyer was.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/20/org_registry_sale_shambles/

I'm not sure if that article is telling the whole story, but I also haven't seen any clear rebuttals.

thanks,
Rob