Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-12

Thanks Al. I presumed all the ducks were in a row, but thought I should ask to be certain.

Yours,
Joel

On 11/3/2019 3:14 PM, MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) wrote:
Hi Joel,
Thanks for your review, please see replies below.
Al

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Halpern via Datatracker [mailto:noreply@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 12:55 PM
To: gen-art@xxxxxxxx
Cc: last-call@xxxxxxxx; draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@xxxxxxxx;
ippm@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-12

Reviewer: Joel Halpern
Review result: Ready

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
3A__trac.ietf.org_trac_gen_wiki_GenArtfaq&d=DwICaQ&c=LFYZ-
o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=GTgiUHp01_savOvQS49iOt8XRHfRw
hPgZj-TNotgKGk&s=M0ib3zYg2qffmRujLJv2h_WHQ16W9fOYat9hNtBqcFk&e=>.

Document: draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-12
Reviewer: Joel Halpern
Review Date: 2019-11-01
IETF LC End Date: 2019-11-06
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Side note: I presume that as part of the process for
draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry (the normative reference the defines the
structure used in this document) there has been discussion with IANA explicitly
about the fact that this registry has an extremely large number of
columns, some with extremely verbose content, and it will likely take some work for
IANA to determine how to present this in a human-readable fashion?  And the
lesser point that is probably covered by existing procedures, but I wanted to
check, that IANA is prepared to fill in the URLs scattered throughout the
document?
[acm]
Yes and Yes. We prepared a mock-up of the new Registry at various stages
of development. Humbly, it was my idea to make the registry entries both
readable and useful. The IANA reps suggested the mock-up early-on, and we have
shared the different versions with the IPPM WG.  We/IANA plan to make the
mock-up more widely available (but we failed to do that in time for Last Call).

Second note:  I did not review the accuracy of the descriptions of the metrics,
but only looked for clarity.  This is material well known to the WG, and mostly
derived from other documents this or closely related working groups have
produced.

Major issues: N/A

Minor issues:
     For those entries that are defining two (or more) closely related metrics,
     should the document actually have two (or more) lines for URL, since the
     text says that IANA is to assign two URLs.  (And the list of differing
     fields should presumably include URL?)
[acm]
There are sections of the document that define more than one registry entry,
so yes, there will be >1 URLs, etc. in the corresponding rows.

     In the first part of section 5, there is a note about potentially splitting
     the registry entry into two registry entries.  I can not understand the
     note.  The registry is either defined with one entry or defined with two
     entries.  Is this still an open item?  (If so, my "ready" above clearly
     should be "Ready with issues.")  I think it is just an erroneous retention
     of text from earlier?
[acm]
Exactly, it is a note left-stranded by editing later in the section,
thanks for catching it - deleted in the working version.

Nits/editorial comments:
     If there are no roles to define in 5.3.6, shouldn't it say "N/A"
[acm]
Actually, it should define the Roles (Src and Dst) as with other Metrics.
Something went wrong with formatting here - the text below the
section header disappeared... thanks for catching that!

     Some comments and remarks say "None" which makes sense.  Some say
     "Additional (Informational) details for this entry" which seems to be
     text left over from the template that should say "None"?
[acm]
Right,  found and replaced in working copy.