Re: The IETF, Standards process, and the impact on the RFC series document production

Implementing our standards involves a treasure hunt
to find how many RFC have to be read before understanding the whole
picture.
This is problematic, but inherent, not so much in the RFC series, but in
the way we've chosen to do our standards process.
Bingo! Changing the RFC series *will not* fix this problem.

If I understand what problem is being described, I'm not sure changing the standards process would address it either.   (Though I do suspect that some changes are in order for other reasons.)

Most standards that are used on a large scale will need to be amended and/or extended over time.    Attempting to get everything right the first time can easily doom a standard to failure for any of multiple reasons (e.g. irrelevance, or too much complexity, or too little ability to adapt to changing conditions).

In a sense, the extensions and amendments are signs of success.   If nobody used the standard, there would probably not be sufficient energy to make the changes.

Keith