Re: [Cbor] Secdir telechat review of draft-ietf-cbor-sequence-01

Hi Carsten,

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019, at 2:04 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> thank you for this review.
>
> On Sep 6, 2019, at 19:55, Stephen Kent via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The second paragraph of the Security Considerations section reminds the
> > reader that decoders (parsers) ought to be designed with the understanding that
> > inputs are untrusted – good advice. I’d be happier if the final sentence
> > changed “must” to “MUST” to reinforce this admonition.
>
> Here I have a question: It seemed to me that we generally try to avoid
> putting BCP14 keywords into security considerations sections — after
> all, the interoperability requirements should be handled in the actual
> protocol definition, not in the security considerations after the fact..

I think use of RFC 2119 keywords in the Security Considerations is fine, as implementors should read the whole document. If a particular requirement is really important, it can be moved to a separate section and referenced in the Security Considerations.

> This MUST would be an implementation requirement.  Is this something we
> want to do in a security considerations section?  RFC 3552 appears to
> be silent about this.
>
> (I’m also asking this because we are in the process of revising RFC
> 7049, which would then raise the same question in its security
> considerations section.)

Best Regards,
Alexey