Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

On 16.09.2019 16:15, Barry Leiba wrote:
Hi, John,

But, again, my concern is that we get the best cross-area
reviews possible and reach IETF consensus on that basis, not
that WG participation and consensus within the WG is unimportant.

Indeed, John, and I understand and agree with that.

I think the issue is that you (and a few others) are concerned that if
we move last-call discussion to another list, fewer people will follow
that list, and, therefore, fewer people will be exposed to the
last-call discussions and possibly be moved to join some of them.

On the other hand, others, including the people who suggested the
split in the first place, think that actually *more* people will be
likely to pay attention to the last-call discussion if they're on a
mailing list that's separate from the high-volume that is the IETF
Discussion list.

As these are both valid views and we don't know which is correct, it
seems to me that the only way to find out what will *actually* happen
will be to run the experiment.  Do you know another way?

Good points.

I wonder whether we actually should dedicate the new list to *anything*
that is about IETF consensus, not only last calls (so the idea would be:
"important things go here").

Best regards, Julian