Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

Hi, Ross.

> > Our plan is to create the new list and pre-subscribe everyone who is
> > subscribed to <ietf@xxxxxxxx> at that time.
>
> Wouldn’t it be better to have “ietf@xxxxxxxx” itself (and not its current subscribers) on
> the new mailing list (so that anyone who subscribes to “ietf” later will automatically
> get last-call announcements as well)?

First, remember that (as noted in the message) the last-call
*announcements* go to ietf-announce, with reply-to set to
<ietf@xxxxxxxx>; they already do not get posted to <ietf@xxxxxxxx>.
What would change is that the reply-to would become
<last-call@xxxxxxxx>.

Second, one of the points of this is to allow people to choose to
follow the last-call discussions and/or the IETF general discussion,
and to make separate choices for those -- some will want one, some the
other, some both.  If we were to subscribe one list to the other, it
wouldn't be possible to choose which to subscribe to independently.

Barry