Re: Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

Fred Baker wrote:

I'm familiar with the paper "End to end arguments in system design"
as well. I'm also familiar with John Day, although I suspect I have
learned more from him than he has learned from me.

Good. So, you should be aware that the essential paragraph
of the paper is:

   The function in question can completely and
   correctly be implemented only with the knowledge
   and help of the application standing at the end
   points of the communication system. Therefore,
   providing that questioned function as a feature of
   the communication system itself is not possible.
   (Sometimes an incomplete version of the function
   provided by the communication system may be
   useful as a performance enhancement.)

applying it for multihoming:

   Multihoming can completely and
   correctly be implemented only with the knowledge
   and help of the application standing at the end
   points of the communication system.

note that "application" of the paper actually includes
transport and network layers of the end systems.

That said, we don't operate on the end2end principle in the Internet,
in the sense of the application determining the route its packets
will take to a destination.

It has nothing to do with the end to end argument quoted above.

it uses routing protocols scubas BGP, OSP, and IS-IS t > determine the routing of packets without the application being aware
or involved.

For proof and extension of E2E argument to intermediate systems (not
actually end to end, anymore), see my lecture note:

	http://www.ocw.titech.ac.jp/index.php?module=General&action=DownLoad&file=201904901-2662-0-35.pdf&type=cal&JWC=201904901

the last slide explains how OSPF follows the E2E principle better
than RIP.

						Masataka Ohta