Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

Hi Fernando,

see below.

On 15.08.19 at 20:13 Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 15/8/19 12:27, Roland Bless wrote:
> [....]
>> c) given the increasing number of virtual machines and IoT devices 64
>> bit isn't sufficient, see also the discussion of new MAC address lengths
> [...]
>
> The MAC addresses should have never been embedded in the IID. In fact,
> that's no longer the recommended way to generate IPv6 IIDs. See RFC8064.

I guess you misinterpreted my statement, since I
was not referring to modified EUI64s or IIDs at all and I'm fully aware
of the RFC.
This was just to point to IEEE work on extending the MAC address space,
showing the need for larger addresses and that 64-bit aren't obviously
sufficient, see e.g.,
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-edu-ieee802work-0.pdf

Regards
 Roland