Re: Does routing table size still matter (Re: Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?)

Nico Williams wrote:

Whatever the size of an IP address, the number of routing table entries
needed still needs to be kept below 2^35 (RAM) or so (2^40 with NVMe),
no?

No. 8192 of rfc2374 is a reasonable number of routine table entries.

To fully enjoy E2E transparency, where hosts are not less intelligent
than routers, ordinary hosts should be able to have full routing table.

I've long felt that it would be much more scalable to route only based
on AS (i.e., IP packets should have addresses, yes, but also src and dst
AS numbers), and have an address->AS resolution protocol....

The problem is in current practice of multihoming by routing.

See

	The Architecture of End to End Multihoming
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-05

for the solution.

						Masataka Ohta