Re: Last Call: <draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-04.txt> (Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA): Registry Restrictions and Recommendations) to Proposed Standard

In article <156477784250.20958.8001683910411638971.idtracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:

>The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
>following document: - 'Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA):
>Registry
>   Restrictions and Recommendations'
>  <draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

This document fills a longstanding need and definitely needs to be published.  But I have a few suggestions.

Section 4 on "For-Profit Domains" contrasts normal zones which have
names that are of use to the zone's owner, and commercial zones where
more names mean more money and says (I paraphrase), hey you greedy
slobs, don't register junk names.  While I certainly agree with the
sentiment, in its current form I don't think the intended audience is
likely to take the hint.  I would shrink the section and just note
that zones are managed in different ways and the ones which have a
financial or other incentive to maximize the number of names present a
potential quality problem.  Then say something like that zones and
registries have reputations, and zones with poor quality names tend to
earn poor reputations, which has led to resolution issues as client
systems block them in self-defense.

Section 5 refers to draft-klensin-idna-unicode-review which updates
RFC 5892.  It is also in last call so I'd suggest treating the two
drafts as a bundle and replace the paragraph with a reference to
the RFC.

Section 5.1 updates RFC 5890 section 4.2 to say in part "A 63 octet
A-label cannot represent more than 58 Unicode code points ..." which
is true, but is easy to miss the point that the UTF-8 version is
likely to be a lot more than 58 octets. I'd change it to something
like "A 63 octet A-label can represent up to 58 Unicode code points,
each of whose UTF-8 encoding can take up to four octets..."

R's,
John