Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

Hi Alissa,

> On 2 Aug 2019, at 20:21, Alissa Cooper <alissa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot,
>
> Thanks for writing this up. You can see that the LLC Board has an agenda item to start discuss it on our next call on August 7 [1]. We had some initial discussion some months back about whether to work on an environmental impact policy as part of our initial set of organizational policies and did not end up prioritizing it given the rest of the bootstrapping effort, but it’s certainly worth coming back to.

Thanks for taking this up on the agenda, and to all those who chimed in during the discussion who shared views.

> Some of the concerns you raise are more about what the community wants and needs as far as meeting cadence, which puts them less in the purview of the LLC and more in the purview of the IESG as far as synthesizing what the community is looking for. Therefore I’ve started a discussion within the IESG about this.

An even busier lot!  And again, I appreciate your (collective) time and consideration.

> Of course any changes we make need to account for existing policies (draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy in particular), the fact that we have venues booked several years in advance already, the fact that we have pre-announced our meeting dates to the Internet community even more years in advance, ongoing discussions with potential future meeting hosts and venues about specific dates and locations, etc. In short, immediate change here is unlikely to be feasible, so hopefully no one is expecting that.

Precisely so.  Again, the purpose of all of this is simply for leadership to have a good think about what sort of options the community might have or want some years down the road.

Eliot