Re: RSOC name

Hi,

As ever, I do not speak for the Internet Society though I am employed
by it.  I'm posting this note especially because I have certain
experiences not widely shared: I was all of an IAB member, an IAB
chair, an IAOC member, and an IAOC chair during some portion of the
past where various bits of RFC 6635 applied.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 07:15:10PM -0400, Donald Eastlake wrote:

> The key word in RFC Series Oversight Committee is "Oversight". What do
> people think when they hear "oversight"? They think that a large part
> the job of whoever has "oversight" is to review and criticize.

I don't think that.  What I think is that it is the responsibility of
the oversight body to ensure that the thing to be overseen is
accomplished according to some conditions.  I'd like to think that the
conditions are well-operationalized so that people are in a position
to know about this.

The fundamental basis of oversight is the ability to decide whether a
given overseen thing is or is not adequately done.  At a high level,
this generally works out to "hire and fire" capability.  (Note you can
do it other ways.  Gating-function, for instance, could do this, but
it seems unwise to implement.)

That capability with respect to the RFC Series Editor goes back at
least to RFC 2850, which says, "The IAB must approve the appointment
of an organization to act as RFC Editor and the general policy
followed by the RFC Editor."  This is of course far less concrete than
the full blown-out description found in RFC 6635.  But the basic rule
is already there.

> What if everything else we the same, but it had been called the RFC
> Series Support Committee? And everytime someone thought about or
> volunteer for or was appointed to the committee they were reminded
> that this is about supporting the RFC Series?

I don't know what the world would be like in the case of
terminological change like you propose.  But I would like to suppose
that everyone involved in the IAB, at least, and anyone I (at least)
ever asked to be on the RSOC regarded their role as making the RFC
series successful.  And making the Editor's general policy cohere with
the IAB's agreement is no innovation from 6635: it's right there in
2850.  It was also in RFC 1601 and RFC 1358.  I am not too sure that
the responsibility of the IAB for this issue is grounded in anything
earlier than 1358, but I'm also not sure that a responsibility that
has been repeatedly affirmed in print since 1992 is one that we can
assume is inoperative.

Elsewhere, Mike StJohns has claimed, "This is a senior person who
really should be co-equal with the IAB and IESG."  I do not find the
documented tradition that suggests this is true.  On the contrary, I
can find documents stretching back to at least 1992 (where I stopped
digging) suggesting that the RSE is in fact subordinate to the IAB.
That is not to suggest the relationship is some sort of
directive-management one.  In my current job, I have plenty of
colleagues who know more about their area than I do (i.e. all of
them), yet I am responsible for their direction and in this formal
sense they are "subordinate" to me.  If any of them messes up, they
are not responsible to my board: I am.  Co-equal suggests that perhaps
the RSE ought to be picked by nomcom.  I'm not too sure that is
desirable.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx