Re: Leading a moving target

Spencer,

While I agree with all of this, I'm a little concerned that we
may be missing something.  As Adrian pointed out, the number of
report participants seems to be rising in both absolute numbers
and as a percentage of participants.  That is generally a good
thing: it enables or strengthens participation of people who,
for one reason or another, are unable to attend f2f and the
diversity of IETF participants.  We also need to recognize at
least one downside: I think that someone who signs up to
participate remotely because of one or two WGs is at least a
little less likely to wander into a WG out of curiosity and end
up getting interested and participating activity than if the
same person were wandering the halls of a f2f meeting with
nothing better to do.  At least it used to work that way.

However, we should also keep in mind that the "three meetings a
year" originated at a time when remote participation didn't work
well and WG virtual interims were all but impossible.  For most
purposes and WGs, it was f2f three times a year, the mailing
lists, or nothing.  Today, as some of us think about cutting
costs and maybe increasing per-meeting attendance by cutting the
number to two a year or maybe even three in two years, efforts
to make meetings more effective and interesting are, almost
inherently, efforts to find better justification for f2f
meetings.  Probably some of those efforts would survive, or
maybe even thrive on, a less frequent meeting schedule.  Aaron's
HotRFC and PechaKucha activities are almost certainly good
examples.   On the other hand, if we need to depend on f2f
tutorials, f2f activities for mentoring/guiding, plenaries to
give our leadership a clear sense of how the community feels,
meetings for f2f nomcom interviews, etc., maybe that is a
counterargument.

I just hope we can consider the downsides of making meetings
more interesting and desirable to attend at the same time we are
doing that and remember that those downsides include making the
IETF more homogeneous and less diverse and broad if f2f meeting
involvement is effectively a requirement for effective
participation (rather than, e.g., just commenting on work).
I'm also concerned that, at precisely the time remote
participation is rising, f2f meeting and WG interims may have us
sliding toward treating the rule about consensus on mailing
lists as something to which we need to play lip service but not
really take seriously.

Finding The Right Thing to Do may be a little more complicated
in this case than seems obvious.

    john

--On Friday, 26 July, 2019 11:16 -0400 Spencer Dawkins at IETF