Re: [lamps] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-cms-hash-sig-08

Joe:

Thanks for the careful review.

> Reviewer: Joe Clarke
> Review result: Ready

Good to hear.

> I have been assigned to review this document as part of the ops directorate.
> This document describes conventions for using the HSS/LMS with CMS.  Overall,
> this document is well-written, and I appreciate the considerations around
> signing size and computation in the introduction.  This will help operators
> properly evaluate the use of this algorithm.  I did find a few small nits.  One
> thing that struck me on the first read is that you have to get to the
> Introduction before HSS/LMS are expanded whereas CMS is expanded in the
> abstract.  Might I suggest you expand HSS and LMS in the abstract as well?

I have done so:

   This document specifies the conventions for using the Hierarchical
   Signature System (HSS) / Leighton-Micali Signature (LMS) hash-based
   signature algorithm with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  In
   addition, the algorithm identifier and public key syntax are
   provided.  The HSS/LMS algorithm is one form of hash-based digital
   signature; it is described in RFC 8554.

I have also expanded it in the first sentence of the Introduction.

> Other nits:
>
> Abstract:
>
> s/for using the the HSS/LMS/for using the HSS/LMS/

No longer relevant with the revised Abstract above.

> ===
>
> Section 2.3:
>
> s/When this object identifier is used for a HSS/LMS/When this object identifier
> is used for an HSS/LMS/

This is in Section 3, right?  If so, fixed.

> ===
>
> Section 6:
>
> s/cause an one-time key/cause a one-time key/
>
> s/When generating a LMS key pair/When generating an LMS key pair/

Both fixed.

Russ