Re: And a third [was: A couple of opinion pieces]

Thanks, Brian, for these documents, and while I worry a bit
that they're a response to a specific situation and may not
be asking quite the right set of questions with respect to the
future of the IETF, I do think it's time to revisit some
really fundamental questions about how we're structured.
The formation of the LLC makes some of these questions a bit
more timely, but even so I've been struck that we don't always
have the clarity we need around things like responsibility
and accountability, and how information flows through the
organization.  The IAB has been taking steps to be more
transparent but to be totally candid there's been some
compartmentalization of information which is fine in theory
but makes accountability extremely difficult in practice.

I'll add that because we make process changes through
document development and through our consensus process (such
as it is), it's difficult to be agile in the face of
changing circumstances and changing demands, and that's a
non-trivial problem.

Years ago Avri and I co-chaired the "problem" working group,
which was charged with documenting structural problems in the
IETF that needed to be addressed.  In practice it turned out
to be month upon month of kvetching and I think did more harm
than good.  I'd like to see a way forward that doesn't repeat
that mistake but based on the quality of discussion on this list
and elsewhere about the RSE situation I am not particularly
optimistic.

But, I do agree that for the health of the organization we
need to figure out how to work through this.  What we're doing
right now isn't working well.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore