Re: RSE Bid Process

Hi Ted,
At 12:08 PM 14-07-2019, Ted Hardie wrote:
Thanks for your comment. You are correct that the SOW does contain this text: "Section 2.1.5 (Workload) of RFC6635 is not applicable to this Statement of Work." and that the RSOC does not conduct a yearly performance review as called for in section 3.1 of 6635. This latter, as you may recall, is because ISOC's human resources folks pointed out that this was how you reviewed employees, rather than the output of a contract. The text cited above also discusses the position in terms of employee hours rather than output.

I don't remember when the performance review issue was first identified. Anyway, I would look at it in terms of whether the model is aligned which what actually happens while excluding the legal aspects [1].

Addressing this along with other issues, should be part of any update to the RFC Editor

I did a quick comparison of RFC 6635 and draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis-03. Section 2.1.5 and Section 3.1 are similar except for minor changes.

model. A key question now is whether we conduct the hiring according to a slightly modified SOW and have the new incumbent participate in the larger discussion or conduct the discussion prior to recruiting a new RSE. The first strategy seems to be permitted by RFC 6635 under the general rubric of the RSE's role in evolving the series. The second is also possible, but the result will likely be that there is no overlap between a new incumbent and Heather.

One of the alternatives (if I understood correctly) is to have an overlap to ensure a smooth transition between the current RSE and the new RSE. That also impacts on whether the larger discussion should happen now or next year. My preference is to have the larger discussion now. There would probably have to be a transition plan in parallel.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. That could be discussed outside a RFC if anyone is interested in it.