Re: Questions about BCPs and WGs

On 7/10/2019 1:16 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:
Hi IETF folks,

I have a few questions about IETF processes that I hope you all can answer. I'm coming at these questions as someone who has participated in a number of WGs, co-authored one RFC and one RFC-to-be, but still doesn't fully understand the processes.

I'm looking at BCP 190 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp190). How do I figure out which WG this document was developed in? It doesn't have a working group listed in the header, nor does the corresponding RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7320).

Also, what's the difference between a BCP and an RFC?

If I look at the document that BCP 190 Updates (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986) it lists the "Network Working Group." What is that? I don't see it listed under https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/.

In general, if I want to discuss amendments to BCP 190, what mailing list would I use to start that conversation?

Thanks,
Jacob

Look it up on the tracker by its RFC number: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7320/

Note that the ID versions listed include "draft-ietf-appsawg-..." which appears to indicate Apps Area WG.

Mike