Re: Fwd: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:04 PM Randy Bush <randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I want us to go be able to produce operational guidance how to
>>> operate BGP-4 networks at a faster rate than the IETF can review and
>>> publish at this point in time.

the ops communities have such mechanisms.  the ietf is not the ideal
place to seek operational guidance for bgp networks.

does the ops community want the ietf's imprimatur on an under-reviewed
documents?

First, let me say that i am not an operator, so I do not know what operators need.

With that said, it's not uncommon to see operational guidance published in ad hoc
forms (see, for instance: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS). Obviously,
the IETF could and does publish this kind of thing (cf. RFC 7525), but publishing
a new RFC with consensus whenever you want to make a change along these lines
is pretty heavyweight (which is likely why 7525 is now out of date). So, it's not clear
to me that the current situation is that ideal.

-Ekr