Re: IAB Job Description - Call for Comments

On 03-Jul-19 15:40, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Hi Kathleen,
>
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, at 03:22, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:

>> Well, I think just changing "RFC Editor" to "RFC Editor (Publisher)"
>> may make a difference in how this is understood.
>
> Is that right?  My understanding is that the publisher role is a separate role.  One that is currently contracted along with the RFC Production Center.

Correct, in the mechanical sense of publication by posting on the Internet. But I don't think that's what Kathleen was getting at. I suppose she was after the sense in which Katharine Graham was publisher of the Washington Post. She didn't personally print the newspapers. This is to underline that the RFC Series Editor is only incidentally a contractor to IETF LLC but is above all the person who manages "the archival publication channel for Internet Standards and for other contributions by the Internet research and engineering community." [RFC2850]

So, actually I think this sentence is wrong:

> The IAB is responsible for the RFC Editor function, including selection and oversight of the RFC Series Editor through the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC).

That's not what the IAB Charter says. See clause (d) at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2850#page-3 for the definition of the IAB's role. So an accurate statement would be more like:

The IAB is responsible for approving the appointment of an organization to act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor, through the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC).

(That also fits better with the fact the relevant contracts are held by IETF LLC; there's no way to reconcile that with "the IAB is responsible for the RFC Editor function".)

    Brian