Re: [babel] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-10

Dear Russ,

Thank you very much for your review.  I agree with all of your comments
save one, I'll publish a new revision taking your comments into account as
soon as possible.

>    ...  A node SHOULD NOT send triggered updates
>    for other reasons, such as when there is a minor fluctuation in a
>    route's metric, when the selected next hop changes, or to propagate a
>    new sequence number (except to satisfy a request, as specified in
>    Section 3.8).

> This seem backwards to me.  Perhaps:

>    ...  The node MUST send triggered updates to satisfy a request, as
>    specified in Section 3.8; however, a node SHOULD NOT send
>    triggered updates for other reasons, including a minor fluctuation
>    in a metric for a route, the selected next hop changes, or to
>    propagate a new sequence number.

I disagree.  The requirement to send triggered updates is already present
in 3.8.1.1, we should not repeat it.  This section is concerned with
avoiding excessive noise.

> Section 4 says:

>    A Babel packet is sent as the body of a UDP datagram, with network-
>    layer hop count set to 1, destined to a well-known multicast address
>    or to a unicast address, over IPv4 or IPv6; in the case of IPv6,
>    these addresses are link-local.

> It seems to me that this should be reworded as MUST statements.

Agreed.

> Section 4.1.2 says:

>    A router-id is an arbitrary 8-octet value.  A router-id MUST NOT
>    consist of either all zeroes or all ones.

> I do not think you are referring to octets with a value of one.  I
> think you mean that the router-id cannot be 0x0000000000000000 or
> 0xffffffffffffffff.  Please reword.

Agreed.

Thanks again,

-- Juliusz