Re: The RSE's perspective

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Richard Barnes <rlb@xxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, I thought the theory of separation of powers was required reading in US schools.

Yes, Leif, I am familiar with the idea.  (The sardonic tone here is not helpful.)  I continue to be unclear on how you think it applies here.

I think the point Leif might be making is that it's not clear the IAB is independent enough of the IESG to function as an effective overseer for the RSE, which has responsibility for good faith management of at least one document stream for which there has been historical friction with the IESG, the independent stream.

The RFC++ BoF made it clear that there are many folks who would like to see the RFC series admission criteria radically altered, and not exactly a stretch to see this kerfuffle with the RSE as an attempt to avoid the need to achieve rough consensus on RFC series control. (I'm not saying I personally hold this viewpoint, only that it's not an unreasonable viewpoint to hold.)