Re: [IETF LLC] Venue Review Committee

Hi John - In my recollection, the VRC was created in an era that may have pre-dated the meeting venue working group (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mtgvenue/about/) and their drafts that will likely soon be RFCs based on the datatracker notes (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy-07 and https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-16). So my perception is that the community came together to document its requirements that would then serve to guide the IASA (in this case the LLC) in selecting venues. That means the people in question don't necessarily need that expertise because it's all documented in requirements and other guidance by the community. And they can always ask the board or the community for input/guidance/feedback - and the community certainly never shies away from sharing feedback as well.

We'll continue to discuss meeting plans on regular board calls - and feel free to raise questions in open session - and our ED and Secretariat will continue to seek community feedback as we go (such as post-meeting surveys, surveys on venue preferences, etc.).

The board certainly knows that meetings are key to the IETF - we have no intention of letting things go off the rails. :-)

Jason