Re: deprecating Postel's principle - considered harmful

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 07:14:52PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 5/10/19 6:47 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> > This is also why 3xx redirect-based authentication methods are winning
> > over as-originally-intended 401 / WWW-Authenticate / Authorization
> > methods.  It's easier to implement redirect chasing than to implement a
> > pluggable authentication method framework.  (Also, it's easier on server
> > devs to use redirects.)  I just wish 3xx and 401 weren't mutually
> > exclusive.  I posted to art@xxxxxxxx a few weeks ago about that got no
> > replies, sadly.
>
> It has long seemed to me that the early available 401-based methods (by
> which I mean the ones available in browsers from mid to late 1990s) failed
> largely because of their inflexibility and relatively poor user experience
> provided by the browsers, and especially because avoiding 401 altogether and
> using redirects and cookies instead allowed each site to customize the login
> user experience.   Then the latter became widely held mindshare that
> redirects and cookies are how you do authentication.   [...]

There are lots of problems with HTTP authentication driving the move to
3xx redirects, no doubt.

The problem I have is that a server that can do both, 3xx- and 401-based
authentication has to pick one without knowing which (if any) the
user-agent can also do.

"Only do 3xx" is not a good answer: it has driven "API keys" into
existence because non-browser, non-interactive apps can't do what
browsers with a human user in front of them can, and API keys are not a
step up, especially not if you have a Kerberos infrastructure that works
like a well-oiled machine.  Kerberos has a lot of problems, and is not
an Internet-scale protocol, but as it happens GSS-API w/ Kerberos is
quite well supported outside HTTP apps (and even there), so 3xx ends up
driving a step-down into API keys, and in some cases too a need to have
multiple names for the same service.

I do not object to 3xx-based authentication.  I just want a better way
to support everything that works.

Nico