Re: Comments on draft-roach-bis-documents-00

Hi,

On 2019-05-09 10:35, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> There is the following sentence in Section 3.2 of draft-roach-bis-documents-00:
>
>     "IESG members SHOULD NOT issue DISCUSS or ABSTAIN ballot positions
>      based on unchanged text except as described in Section 3.3."
>
> Why is an ABSTAIN an issue?

Because if 1/3 of the IESG members put in an ABSTAIN position the
document can not be approved. I think the main scenario would be that
one update something but don't fix something like a serious weakness in
security. Then maybe many IESG members want to put in a "I am holding my
nose on this" with the effect that the document anyway become blocked.

> What about IESG member "comments"?  Can those comments be ignored?

Yes, comments are just comments and authors, editors and WG are free to
ignore them. The IESG appreciate them being addressed, but we don't
consider them critical. If that is the case, the issue should be put in
the Discuss part.

For more information about the IESG ballot positions please read:

https://www.ietf.org/standards/process/iesg-ballots/

And more relevant about the Discsuss versus comment are:

https://www.ietf.org/blog/discuss-criteria-iesg-review/

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Network Architecture & Protocols, Ericsson Research
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx