Re: Intdir early review of draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-34 - 'conforming IPv6' - fe80::/10 vs fe80::/64

Bonjour Alexandre,

On 10-Apr-19 02:11, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

> Le 09/04/2019 à 00:37, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> What do you mean by 'conforming IPv6'?
>>>
>>> The above phrase is a clarification of existing IPv6 specs.
>>>
>>> The spec in question is RFC 2464.  I consider that to be what we
>>> need to conform to.  That spec says 'fe80::/64'.  But that 64 is
>>> wrong.
>>
>> No it isn't. It specifies the LL prefix used over Ethernet. Since it
>> is within fe80::/10, it's valid.
>
> YEs, it is valid.
>
>> I also don't understand the meaning of "at least" in this sentence.
>
> "At least" means that at least the link-local prefix must be present on
> the interface.  More than LL prefix, there could be a global prefix or
> an ULA prefix or several of them.
>
> "At least" does not mean "the value should be at least 10" in that phrase.
>
> Do you think we should say otherwise?

To me there is nothing in the actual text to tell me that "at least"
qualifies the "/10". I think you could rephrase as
"This subnet's prefix MUST lie within the link-local prefix fe80::/10 ..."

However, see Jinmei's messages about conformance with RFC 4291.

I think there might be unexpected side effects from using an
address like fe80:1::1. What if some code uses matching with
fe80::/64 to test if an address is link-local? I agree that
would be faulty code, but you would be the first to discover it.

Regards
    Brian