Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers

Michael Richardson wrote:
> So let me amend my request. I would like, as a sometimes WG-chair, and frequent microphone contributor, specific and directed training on speech patterns and behaviours to avoid (in technical settings).

[JL] This is an excellent thread, and thank you for starting it! I personally have found both training on recognizing different communication styles and adapting to them (so your message is actually heard/understood rather than only received), as well as cross-cultural communications training, to be quite useful. The former was in the context of leading a technical team and included guidance on how to be a better facilitator of discussion (e.g. technical debate), so I think it's particularly useful for WG chairs - and others as well of course. I certainly always have room to learn and build these skills, so I'd be interested as well if something such as this came together.

PS - I also thought Ted's note was awesome - my hat is off to him for sharing.