Re: IAB wire-image work

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> On 23. Mar 2019, at 16:41, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >>> The Wire Image of a Network Protocol (draft-iab-wire-image)
    >>
    >>> Both are products of the IAB’s Stack Evolution Program, which has
    >>> been considering the behavior of on-path network elements which
    >>> observe network flows, especially when these are encrypted.
    >>
    >> Thank you for this work.  It is very interesting description.
    >>
    >> I would have liked to separate out the definition of the wire image a
    >> bit From the value judgement that having a smaller wire-image is a
    >> good thing.

    > I don’t think the doc says that the wire image needs necessarily to be
    > small.

    > This is in the draft:

    > “… the protocol's wire image should therefore be designed to explicitly
    > expose information to those network functions deemed important by the
    > designers in an obvious way.  The wire image should expose as little
    > other information as possible.”

    > Which just says that you need to design the wire image carefully to
    > only expose things you really want to expose and not expose (or at
    > least minimise) anything else (wherever possible).

    > Where in the draft did you read that the wire image needs to be
    > small. If that is in there or could be misinterpreted that way, we
    > should fix that.

I think that the sentence:
   The wire image should expose as little other information as possible.

seems to suggest it to me, but I agree that in fact, it doesn't say that.

I read the first sentence say that what is exposed should be intentionally
exposed.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works