Re: [dmarc-ietf] I18ndir last call review of draft-ietf-dmarc-eaiauth-03

What do we call mail that's not EAI mail? It's not ASCII mail, since non-EAI messages can contain any character sets you want in the message body.

And in the headers, including in the name in the email address...

No, not really. In non-EAI mail, the headers are all ASCII, even though some of that ASCII may be MIME encodings of UTF-8. On systems that support 8BITMIME (all of them, these days) the body can contain literal unencoded UTF-8 in the body parts, although the MIME headers between the body parts are still ASCII.

In EAI mail, the headers and the body part MIME headers can contain UTF-8 just abuout everywhere other than the field names.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY