Re: IETF blog post on ACME

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, Eric Rescorla wrote:

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 6:17 PM Lloyd Wood <lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Richard,

      your IETF blog post says:

      "the server that needs a certificate can send in its information in a standard form"
      I do get nervous seeing the 'standard' word used in IETF material; the IETF has a specific standards
      process, IETF material has to be careful in its terminology.

      While RFC 8555 is published as an RFC and as a proposed standard, it is not yet an IETF standard.

This distinction, while true, seems not very helpful.

And the distinction is only really known by people at the IETF who have
reached nomcom acceptable status. The real world out there only knows
"It's an RFC standard" and "It's not an RFC".

I would be happy if the IETF retired the distinction between Proposed
Standard, Draft Standard and Internet Standard.

I do think Experimental and Informational are useful :)

Paul