Re: [104all] Further Clarification Re: IETF 104 Preliminary Agenda

Fred Baker <fredbaker.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > The biggest issue I see in these experiments, though, is that we find
    > out about them very late in the game, after we have paid for travel
    > arrangements and arranged side meetings guessing at what the IETF will
    > do. In my case, we planned two RSSAC caucus working meetings on the
    > guess that IETF slots would start at 9:30, and it turns out that they
    > start at 9:00, and scheduled a company meeting Friday-Sunday following
    > on the assumption that Friday would be open, and are now flexing those
    > arrangements given that it conflicts with important working groups.

I agree.
I think I sent the IESG an email 6 to 8 weeks ago asking for a clear
and early statement.  Clearly they made a decision in time to tell the
secretariat, but not the rest of us... :-)

    > I miss the 2.5 hour slots, and I deeply wish that people could make
    > rational predictions about how the IETF week will run before they
    > purchase travel.

The 2.5 hour slots are just not doable with so many groups.
If we want big chunks of time, then we need bigger/wider groups.
Otherwise, we need smaller allocation units....

Spring IETF usually overruns my wife's birthday, so I having been waiting
until the last minute to book.. Annoyingly there is an afternoon flight on
Saturday that does not exist on Friday.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-