RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt> (An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining) to Proposed Standard

Ben,

Thanks for responding to this and so for bringing it to my attention
(somehow it was missing from my inbox).

SM,

I had some exchanges (on this list) with Russ Mundy who did a SecDir review
during WG last call. I believe that this will lead to some edits to the
Security Considerations section.

But I don't think that this document has holes to plug. There are, of
course, no control plane implications in this document, so that doesn't need
attention. That leaves us with the architecture/function of SFC itself, and
the underlying transport.

The text should make clear that the security properties are exactly the
security properties of SFC as described in the SFC architecture together
with the security properties of the MPLS data plane. This is perhaps not
clear enough in the document, and my discussion with Russ left me with a
plan to include some discussion:
- of the security of the MPLS forwarding plane (with references)
- about what would happen if someone was able to tamper with a packet
- of the fact that if someone can successfully tamper with an MPLS packet
   in flight then they can do a lot of other bad things as well

In your other email you suggested removing the last paragraph. We could
certainly do that. Are you objecting to it because it states the obvious
(which can be frustrating, but is hardly harmful), or because it says
something that is fundamentally wrong (in which case I don't see what it
is)?

Thanks,
Adrian