Re: Protocol Action: 'CDN Loop Detection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-cdn-loop-02.txt)

It is not an optional extension for those Content Delivery Networks that are conforming to this specification.  That’s two qualifiers: CDNs and conforming.

I can have a perfectly fine HTTP/1.1 implementation that never sends a cdn-info. If I have such an implementation, nothing about this new specification is forcing me to update my implementation.  Even if my implementation is used in CDNs, it is still perfectly compliant with 7230/7231. It’s just not compliant with the new specification.

If we’re not requiring existing implementations to be updated, we usually don’t use the ‘UPDATES’ keyword.

Yoav