Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-19

Hi Will,

On 5/10/18 12:16, Will LIU wrote:
> Reviewer: Will LIU
> Review result: Ready
>
> Hi all,
>
> (Sorry , it seems to me that the notification was blocked by the filter. I
> guess it's a little bit late.)

no it's not! It's me who is running late.

> I have reviewed draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-19 as part of the Operational
> directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by
> the IESG.  These comments were written with the intent of improving the
> operational aspects of the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last
> call may be included in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors
> and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call
> comments.
>
> “This memo describes a new namespace, the Host Identity namespace, and
>     a new protocol layer, the Host Identity Protocol, between the
>     internetworking and transport layers.  Herein are presented the
>     basics of the current namespaces, their strengths and weaknesses, and
>     how a new namespace will add completeness to them.  The roles of this
>     new namespace in the protocols are defined.
>
>     This document obsoletes RFC 4423 and addresses the concerns raised by
>     the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It incorporates
>     lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201 and goes further
>     to explain how HIP works as a secure signaling channel.”
>
> My overall view of the document is 'Ready' for publication.

thanks!

> Some small ones:
>
> 1. Especially, I am glad to see the security consideration part well explained.
> I guess it's still worth writing something about the security tradeoff
> influence for the different modes mentioned in previous sections. In fact,
> there are some words in previous sections, maybe a summary can be put here.

I added one line quick summary to the abstract:

[...] The section on security considerations describe also measures
against flooding attacks, usage of identities in access control lists,
weaker types of identifiers and trust on first use. [...]

Does this address your concern?

> 2. It's good to have a single subsection about " Answers to NSRG questions".
> However, maybe it's better to put it in appendix?

it's already in appendix (due to other review comments).

Thanks for the feedback!