Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-hash-of-root-key-cert-extn-02.txt> (Hash Of Root Key Certificate Extension) to Informational RFC

On 3 Jan 2019, at 7:28, Russ Housley wrote:

I had a voice conversation with Paul Hoffman, and I think that I now understand the things that he would like to see added to the document. Essentially, the Hash Of Root Key certificate extension is a commitment to the next generation public key and algorithm. Recall that the hash covers the SubjectPublicKeyInfo, which is:

	SubjectPublicKeyInfo  ::=  SEQUENCE  {
	     algorithm            AlgorithmIdentifier,
	     subjectPublicKey     BIT STRING  }

So, a few things can go wrong after making this commitment. (Stephen called it pinning.) The Root CA needs to choose a next generation public key and algorithm that will be secure for the full lifetime. Of course, a cryptoanalytic break through is very difficult to predict, and if one happens before the new key is used, the Root CA remains committed to the now broken key. The remedy is to deploy a new public key and algorithm in the same manner as the initial Root CA self-signed certificate. The benefits of automatic detection of the new public key are lost, but that is a minor concern is the scope of a cryptoanalytic break through.

In addition, from an operational perspective, the Root CA must securely back up the yet-to-be-deployed key pair. If the Root CA stores it in a hardware security module, and that module fails, the Root CA remains committed to the now unavailable key. The remedy is the same as above: deploy a new public key in the same manner as the initial Root CA self-signed certificate.

Russ has issued an -03 that adds text about the commitment that comes with using this extension. That alleviates my concern about a CA not realizing that there is a risk in adding the extension to trust anchor certificates.

--Paul Hoffman