Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IETF Adminstration LLC Board Retreat

Glenn,

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal) <Glenn.Deen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On 12/6/18, 2:41 PM, "Bob Hinden" <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>    Glenn,
>
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 12:38 PM, IETF Administration LLC Board of Directors Chair <llc-board-chair@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The IETF LLC Board will hold a face to face retreat December 12-13, 2018.
>>
>> The meeting agenda for this, and all other IETF LLC Board meetings, is available at https://www7.ietf.org/about/groups/llc-board/meeting-info/
>>
>> Unfortunately, unlike our teleconference meetings which are open to observers, we do not have remote attendance options available for this retreat.
>
>    Please clarify, the LLC board choose to not make the retreat open to observers, or it was not possible to have remote attendance (and wasn’t included in the planning for the retreat)?
>
>    Bob
>
> Hi Bob,

Thanks for the prompt response.  So the answer my question is that the LLC board choose to not make the retreat open to observers.

> As you can see from the published agenda there is a lot of legal and financial discussions for the retreat, and some meeting discussions as well which put almost all of the meeting into closed session, so we didn't include remote attendance into our planning as very little would be open for observing.  This particular meeting is heavy with this sort of material and is why we are doing it in person to plow through it with counsel.
>
> This retreat's agenda is out of the ordinary with its heavy legal and finance focus, whereas regular IETF LLC Board meetings won't be as loaded with this material and will follow the structure of having the majority of the meeting open to observers and a smaller executive session on an as needed basis to deal with personnel, legal, and financial discussions.

I am not sure I understand why the board discussing financial and legal matters all need to be in closed session.  Other than topics like contract negotiations, personal compensation, operational legal issues, etc.  But I didn’t see anything like that in the agenda.  Much of the agenda appears to be about transition, process, policies, procedures, etc.

Bob