Why are we (poorly) putting IANA registries in RFCs with yang?

Hi,

I see a few drafts that are specifying a yang model that seems to pull in
all valid options from IANA registries. Obviously, these RFCs are going
to be out of date quickly. Then we either have to let people extrapolate
on the obvious, or write up silly Updates: documents.

For ipsec there was a discussion of only putting in "some" entries and
leave out obsolete entries. But it would require an IANA registry change
because it has no obsolete column because some (*cough* IPsec IANA Expert)
think that information should be in RFCs and not IANA Registries.

For DNS, we thought about quickly writing a draft to obsolete some very
ancient stuff more formally so the yang model could perhaps leave it out
and avoid implementors putting in stuff that is never going to get used
in real life.

Why are we doing this to ourselves?

Why can't yang modules just point to the proper IANA registries and
use the named values from those registries and look for any obsolete
and/or deprecated entries.

Paul