Re: remote participation

Overall comment.  Meetecho is a wonderful marvelous tool, the staff is fantastically helpful, all quite an uptick from the jabber+audio experience of long ago IETFs.  Long life to them!

But.

Are we mandating the use of meetecho for remote participation?  Are those who still use jabber+audio just out of luck?

About

> A feasible approach to removing such a latency is indeed represented by the use of the Meetecho virtual queue. In this way, remote participants can in fact directly inject (in a chair-moderated fashion) their audio (and video, if desired) into the conference room, with no need for any “jabber relay”.

In what way does the virtual queue counteract the time it takes for the “any questions” to reach my platform before the “no?  ok, on to next topic” occurs in the meeting room?

’T’would indeed be great to inject my audio and maybe video into the room.  Save me the typing which always takes me much too long.

But.

See overall comment on jabber+audio.

Not all people are remotely participating in situations where they can speak out loud.  What, no one has ever been sitting in one wg, with one ear and a jabber window devoted to the wg in another room?

> The Meetecho queue might have done the trick also in this case, by the way.

The chair who did not see the jabber/chat room might just as easily not seen the virtual queue.  Gotta have somebody in the room to be looking, whether it is looking for the “MIC <comment>” in the jabber room or looking for the "virtual queue, which is projected at all times”. Whether that’s one somebody with an assigned role or a community effort.

(I await education of a current tool feature that puts the audio from the virtual queue directly into the room at some deliberate point without human direction.  But you did say "in a chair-moderated fashion”.)

> I might be biased,  but my feeling is that we, as a community, have devoted huge efforts in the past years to improve the “quality” of the remote participation experience

I repeat my first enthusiastic gratitude to the work that has been done.  I agree with the improvement wholeheartedly.

But.

Humans, AFAIK, still have a determining factor in making the remote participation work well.

—Sandy

(wrt jabber+audio vs meetecho.  I’ll just presume that Meetecho’s excellence extends to support for audio/visual disabilities; seems a real safe presumption.)