Re: [Extra] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-02

Thanks, Scott. Comments inline

On 10/20/2018 8:12 PM, Scott Bradner wrote:
Reviewer: Scott Bradner
Review result: Has Nits

This is an OPS-DIR review of IMAP REPLACE Extension
(draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-02)

imo - this proposal causes negative ops issues - i.e. it fixes potentially bad
ops situations where the state of a message repository is not determinable due
to the failure of one of a chain of commands. so it reduces potential ops issues

that said, it seems to me that section 3.4 could more clearly state that no
changes are to be made to the repository unless all changes are made - i.e.,
'all or nothing' - the information is there but it is a bit convoluted and the
use of a clear simple statement would help

We had discussed this back around IETF93 and some server implementors indicated issues with an atomic guarantee. While I personally think it's much more valuable with such a guarantee, the wording for when to send the untagged EXPUNGE and the suppression of intermediate state responses was intended to cover the not-always-all-or-nothing nature.