Re: Side Meetings at IETF 103

Hi Adrian,

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 2:55 PM, Adrian Farrel <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I assume that this has been discussed by the IESG and is a conscious decision.

Yes, definitely. Part of this is in response to the feedback we received around IETF 102 requesting to make it easier for people to organize their schedules, side meetings included.

This has not been true since IETF 99, when we started experimenting with the current side meetings sign-up procedure where sign-ups are FCFS and do not require AD approval. See, e.g., <https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/doku.php?id=99sidemeetings>.

> This is in keeping with the policy linked to below, but a calendar might be an
> issue unless it is taken down after the meeting so that record of the side
> meetings goes away.

This is an interesting point for discussion. Even without the wiki or the calendar, many side meetings get announced on public mailing lists. Obscuring the fact that they occurred afterward might help them seem less official, but it is also possible that clearly labeling the wiki or calendar could serve the same purpose without setting the precedent that we are erasing meeting artefacts.

> It might also help for the IESG to re-clarify the applicability of the IPR
> policy to side meetings and distinguish them (if necessary) from working group
> design team meetings.

We could do this, but we would need to be careful about giving the right impression. The updated IPR policy applies to hallway conversations as much as it does to side meetings or working group meetings, as long as the people involved are "acting in order to influence the outcome of a discussion relating to the IETF Standards Process." It doesn’t distinguish, so I would want to be cautious about calling out side meetings specifically as a venue where it applies.

Thanks,
Alissa